HOUSE BILL 14
51st legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2014
James P. White and Carlos R. Cisneros
RELATING TO TAXATION; PROVIDING A DEDUCTION FROM GROSS RECEIPTS FOR SELLING AIRCRAFT PARTS OR MAINTENANCE SERVICES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. Section 7-9-62 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 1969, Chapter 144, Section 52, as amended) is amended to read:
"7-9-62. DEDUCTION--GROSS RECEIPTS TAX--AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS--AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURERS--VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE REGISTERED--AIRCRAFT PARTS AND MAINTENANCE SERVICES.--
A. Except for receipts deductible under Subsection B of this section, fifty percent of the receipts from selling agricultural implements, farm tractors, aircraft or vehicles that are not required to be registered under the Motor Vehicle Code may be deducted from gross receipts; provided that, with respect to agricultural implements, the sale is made to a person who states in writing that the person is regularly engaged in the business of farming or ranching. Any deduction allowed under Section 7-9-71 NMSA 1978 must be taken before the deduction allowed by this subsection is computed.
B. Receipts of an aircraft manufacturer or affiliate from selling aircraft [or aircraft parts or from selling services performed on aircraft or aircraft components] or from selling aircraft flight support, pilot training or maintenance training services may be deducted from gross receipts. Any deduction allowed under Section 7-9-71 NMSA 1978 must be taken before the deduction allowed by this subsection is computed.
C. Receipts from selling aircraft parts or maintenance services for aircraft or aircraft parts may be deducted from gross receipts. Any deduction allowed under Section 7-9-71 NMSA 1978 must be taken before the deduction allowed by this subsection is computed.
[C.] D. As used in this section:
(1) "affiliate" means a business entity that directly or indirectly through one or more intermediaries controls, is controlled by or is under common control with the aircraft manufacturer;
(2) "agricultural implement" means a tool, utensil or instrument that is depreciable for federal income tax purposes and that is:
(a) designed to irrigate agricultural crops above ground or below ground at the place where the crop is grown; or
(b) designed primarily for use with a source of motive power, such as a tractor, in planting, growing, cultivating, harvesting or processing agricultural crops at the place where the crop is grown; in raising poultry or livestock; or in obtaining or processing food or fiber, such as eggs, milk, wool or mohair, from living poultry or livestock at the place where the poultry or livestock are kept for this purpose; [and
(c) depreciable for federal income tax purposes;]
(3) "aircraft manufacturer" means a business entity that in the ordinary course of business designs and builds private or commercial aircraft certified by the federal aviation administration;
(4) "business entity" means a corporation, limited liability company, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability partnership or real estate investment trust, but does not mean an individual or a joint venture; (5) "control" means equity ownership in a business entity that:
(a) represents at least fifty percent of the total voting power of that business entity; and
(b) has a value equal to at least fifty percent of the total equity of that business entity; and
(6) "flight support" means providing navigation data, charts, weather information, online maintenance records and other aircraft or flight-related information and the software needed to access the information."
SECTION 2. EFFECTIVE DATE.--The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2014.
- 4 -