SENATE BILL 189
51st legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2014
RELATING TO PUBLIC HEALTH; PROVIDING FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A STATEWIDE PERINATAL COLLABORATIVE; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] STATEWIDE PERINATAL COLLABORATIVE--DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH TO ESTABLISH.--
A. By July 1, 2014, the department of health shall establish a statewide "perinatal collaborative" to improve health outcomes for pregnant women and newborns. The department shall contract for the development of the collaborative with a statewide nonprofit organization representing hospitals.
B. The purpose of the collaborative is to improve outcomes for families by:
(1) standardizing the use of evidence-based practice in obstetrical settings, newborn and neonatal intensive care units and other health care facilities;
(2) achieving measurable improvements in health outcomes for pregnant women and newborns in the state;
(3) reducing unintended pregnancies, particularly among youth;
(4) reducing pre-term births and improving the outcomes of pre-term newborns;
(5) promoting effective quality-improving and cost-savings best practices to providers of women's health and perinatal care; and
(6) improving multiple health conditions addressed by obstetrical, women's health and neonatal health providers.
C. The collaborative shall include the department of health, physicians, nurse-midwives, health care clinics and other health care providers.
D. The department and the collaborative shall report annually to the legislative health and human services committee and the legislative finance committee on systemic improvements, state and local health statistics for pregnant women and newborns and other information the collaborative considers important.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--Two hundred thousand dollars ($200,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the department of health for expenditure in fiscal years 2014 and 2015 to establish the statewide perinatal collaborative. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2015 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -