HOUSE BILL 249
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Derrick J. Lente
RELATING TO ELECTIONS; REQUIRING THE SECRETARY OF STATE TO CONVENE A NATIVE AMERICAN VOTING TASK FORCE; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION; DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] SECRETARY OF STATE--NATIVE AMERICAN VOTING TASK FORCE.--
A. The secretary of state shall establish, convene and support a "Native American voting task force".
B. The Native American voting task force shall make findings and recommendations to the secretary of state regarding Native American voting education and information.
C. The Native American voting task force shall have ten members, appointed by the secretary of state. The members of the task force shall include:
(1) three members from the Navajo Nation;
(2) one member from the Pueblo of Taos, the Pueblo of Picuris, Ohkay Owingeh, the Pueblo of Santa Clara, the Pueblo of San Ildefonso, the Pueblo of Nambe, the Pueblo of Pojoaque or the Pueblo of Tesuque;
(3) one member from the Pueblo of Cochiti, Kewa Pueblo, the Pueblo of San Felipe, the Pueblo of Santa Ana, the Pueblo of Sandia, the Pueblo of Zia, the Pueblo of Jemez or the Pueblo of Isleta;
(4) one member from the Pueblo of Acoma, the Pueblo of Laguna or the Pueblo of Zuni;
(5) one member from the Mescalero Apache Tribe;
(6) one member from the Fort Sill Apache Tribe;
(7) one member from the Jicarilla Apache Nation; and
(8) one Native American who resides in an urban area.
D. Members of the Native American voting task force shall not receive compensation for the performance of their duties but shall be paid per diem and mileage for attendance at meetings of the task force as provided in the Per Diem and Mileage Act for nonsalaried public officials.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--Forty thousand dollars ($40,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the office of the secretary of state for expenditure in fiscal year 2020 and subsequent fiscal years to convene a Native American voting task force. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of a fiscal year shall not revert to the general fund.
SECTION 3. EMERGENCY.--It is necessary for the public peace, health and safety that this act take effect immediately.
- 3 -