HOUSE BILL 280
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Joanne J. Ferrary and Micaela Lara Cadena and Karen C. Bash and
Elizabeth "Liz" Thomson
RELATING TO HEALTH; REQUIRING HEALTH FACILITIES TO GRANT CERTAIN PRIVILEGES TO CERTIFIED NURSE PRACTITIONERS AND CERTIFIED NURSE-MIDWIVES IN PARITY WITH PHYSICIAN PRIVILEGES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] HEALTH FACILITIES--CERTIFIED NURSE PRACTITIONERS--CERTIFIED NURSE-MIDWIVES--PRIVILEGES--PARITY WITH PHYSICIANS.--
A. Unless required by federal law, a health facility shall establish the same criteria for granting patient admitting or discharge privileges or in authorizing continuing patient care for certified nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives and clinical nurse specialists as the health facility has established for physicians.
B. A health facility shall ensure that certified nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives and clinical nurse specialists acting in accordance with these professionals' respective scopes of practice under New Mexico law are:
(1) eligible to serve on the health facility's medical staff;
(2) credentialed under the same procedures as the health facility has established for physicians; and
(3) authorized to conduct peer review of their professional colleagues.
C. As used in this section:
(1) "certified nurse-midwife" means an individual licensed as a registered nurse pursuant to the Nursing Practice Act and licensed by the department of health as a certified nurse-midwife;
(2) "certified nurse practitioner" means a registered nurse who is licensed by the board of nursing for advanced practice as a certified nurse practitioner pursuant to the Nursing Practice Act;
(3) "health facility" means a health facility licensed by the department of health pursuant to the Public Health Act; and
(4) "physician" means an individual licensed to practice as a medical doctor or an osteopathic physician.
- 2 -