HOUSE BILL 320
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Patricia A. Lundstrom and Javier Martínez and Antonio Maestas and Sheryl Williams Stapleton and Brian Egolf
RELATING TO HIGHER EDUCATION; REQUIRING THE BOARD OF REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO TO REPORT TO THE LEGISLATIVE FINANCE COMMITTEE CERTAIN INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THE OPERATION OF THE UNIVERSITY'S ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT; PROVIDING FOR PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION TO REINSTATE CERTAIN SPORTS PROGRAMS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO--ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT REPORTING--PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS.--
A. For each fiscal year, the board of regents of the university of New Mexico shall provide a report to the legislative finance committee of:
(1) salaries and other payments, including incentive payments, paid to each athletic coach, assistant athletic coach and administrator employed within the university's athletics department;
(2) travel expenses or other expenses incurred by the university's athletics department;
(3) the amount of each contract entered into by or on behalf of the university's athletics department;
(4) the basis for the amount of each expenditure or contract described in this subsection; and
(5) plans to generate revenue for the university's athletics department programs.
B. The legislative finance committee may, for each fiscal year, conduct performance evaluations with respect to:
(1) the information provided by the board of regents of the university of New Mexico pursuant to Subsection A of this section; and
(2) contracts entered into by or on behalf of the athletics department of the university of New Mexico.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--Two million dollars ($2,000,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the board of regents of the university of New Mexico for expenditure in fiscal year 2020 to reinstate skiing, volleyball and men's soccer programs at the university of New Mexico for the purpose of participation in national collegiate athletic association sports competitions. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2020 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -