HOUSE BILL 608
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Rebecca Dow and Cathrynn N. Brown and David M. Gallegos
and Rod Montoya
RELATING TO HEALTH; ALLOWING HEALTH FACILITIES AND ASSOCIATED PERSONS TO REFUSE TO ADMIT PATIENTS FOR ABORTIONS OR TO PARTICIPATE IN ABORTIONS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] HEALTH FACILITIES--REFUSAL TO PARTICIPATE IN MEDICAL PROCEDURES.--
A. A health facility shall not be required to admit any patient for the purposes of performing an abortion.
B. The following persons shall not be required to participate in medical procedures, including the dispensing of medication, that will result in the termination of a pregnancy if they object to the abortion on moral, religious or personal conviction grounds:
(1) a person who is a member of, or associated with, the staff of a health facility;
(2) any person acting under the direction of a physician; or
(3) any person employed in a health facility in which an abortion may be performed.
C. The refusal of a person to participate in an abortion shall not form the basis of any disciplinary or other recriminatory action against the person.
D. As used in this section:
(1) "abortion" means the intentional termination of the pregnancy of a female by a person who knows the female is pregnant; and
(2) "health facility" means a facility licensed by the department of health pursuant to the provisions of the Public Health Act.
- 2 -