SENATE BILL 214
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
FOR THE LEGISLATIVE HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE
RELATING TO PUBLIC HEALTH; PROVIDING FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A STATEWIDE PERINATAL COLLABORATIVE; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] STATEWIDE PERINATAL COLLABORATIVE--DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH TO ESTABLISH.--
A. By October 1, 2019, the department of health shall establish the "statewide perinatal collaborative" to improve health outcomes for pregnant women and newborns. The department shall contract for the development of the collaborative with a statewide nonprofit organization whose purpose is to serve as a perinatal collaborative.
B. The purpose of the statewide perinatal collaborative is to improve outcomes for families by:
(1) standardizing the use of evidence-based practice in obstetrical settings, newborn and neonatal intensive care units and other health care facilities;
(2) achieving measurable improvements in health outcomes for pregnant women and newborns in the state;
(3) reducing unintended pregnancies, particularly among youth;
(4) reducing pre-term births and improving the outcomes of pre-term newborns;
(5) promoting effective quality-improving and cost-saving best practices to providers of women's health and perinatal care; and
(6) improving multiple health conditions addressed by obstetrical, women's health and neonatal health care providers.
C. Membership of the statewide perinatal collaborative shall include representatives of the department of health, physicians, nurse-midwives, representatives of health care clinics, other health care providers and other stakeholders.
D. The department of health and the statewide perinatal collaborative shall report annually to the legislative health and human services committee and the legislative finance committee on systemic improvements, state and local health statistics for pregnant women and newborns and other information that the statewide perinatal collaborative considers important.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--Three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the department of health for expenditure in fiscal year 2020 to establish the statewide perinatal collaborative in accordance with Section 1 of this act. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2020 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -