SENATE BILL 269
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
John M. Sapien and Cliff R. Pirtle
RELATING TO MOTOR VEHICLES; CREATING A STANDARDIZED REGISTRATION PLATE FOR WORTHY PUBLIC PURPOSES; PROVIDING FOR SPECIALIZED REGISTRATION DECALS FOR SUPPORTERS OF WORTHY PUBLIC PURPOSES; MAKING APPROPRIATIONS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of the Motor Vehicle Code is
enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] STANDARDIZED REGISTRATION PLATES FOR WORTHY PUBLIC PURPOSES--SPECIAL REGISTRATION DECALS.--
A. For a fee of ten dollars ($10.00), which shall be in addition to the regular motor registration fee, the department shall issue standardized registration plates with space for a special registration decal as may be authorized by statute for worthy public purposes. The fee collected for each registration plate shall be retained by the department and is appropriated to the department for the manufacture and issuance of the registration plate. No two owners shall be issued identically lettered or numbered registration plates.
B. The authorizing statute for a special registration decal shall provide for the collection of fees that, at a minimum, shall cover the costs to the division of development, manufacture and issuance of the decal.
C. Worthy public purpose registration plates, on the standardized areas, shall:
(1) display the colors of the state flag, with red lettering on a yellow background;
(2) display the phrases "New Mexico USA" and "Land of Enchantment";
(3) provide a space for applying a special registration decal, centered at the left edge of the plate between the attachment holes, beginning one-fourth inch in from the edge of the plate and having the following dimensions:
(a) four and one-eighth inches in height; and
(b) three and one-eighth inches in width; and
(4) provide a vehicle registration number, to be assigned by the division, that consists of five alphanumeric characters displayed to the right of the special decal area.
D. Special registration decals, except for the standard dimensions specified in Paragraph (3) of Subsection C of this section, shall be left to the design discretion of the division, in consultation with the worthy public purpose interest group that requests the special registration decal.
E. Special registration decals, when authorized by statute for a particular worthy public purpose interest group, shall meet the requirements specified in this subsection prior to issuance by the division. The worthy public purpose interest group, no later than the effective date of the authorizing statute, shall:
(1) provide evidence acceptable to the division that it will generate a minimum number of prepaid applications as determined by the division for the special registration decal;
(2) provide a prepayment to the division in an amount sufficient to cover the initial order for the special registration decal;
(3) provide a sample of the requested artwork design in a format specified by the manufacturer for the specialized registration decal; and
(4) in cases where the authorizing statute includes revenue-sharing with distribution directed to a particular group or fund, show that the recipient is a governmental entity or a fund authorized for the use of a governmental entity.
F. The division may promulgate rules for implementation of the provisions of this section."
SECTION 2. A new section of the Motor Vehicle Code is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] SPECIAL REGISTRATION DECALS--ONE-TIME FEE.--The department shall issue special registration decals for use on standardized registration plates pursuant to Section 1 of this 2019 act for statutorily authorized purposes and fees, which fees shall be in addition to the regular motor vehicle registration fees; provided that the fees established in this section shall be waived for each registration period in which a validating sticker is issued under the provisions of Section 66-3-17 NMSA 1978 in lieu of the issuance of a registration plate with a special registration decal."
SECTION 3. A new section of the Motor Vehicle Code is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] SPECIAL REGISTRATION DECALS--RECURRING FEES.--A special registration decal may be authorized by statute for use on the standardized registration plate pursuant to Section 1 of this 2019 act with an annual renewal requirement. The department shall issue special registration decals for statutorily authorized purposes and fees pursuant to this section, which fees shall be in addition to the regular motor vehicle registration fees. The owner shall apply and pay the specified fee each year to retain the special registration decal."
SECTION 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.--The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2019.
- 5 -