SENATE BILL 409
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
RELATING TO HIGHER EDUCATION; REQUIRING THE BOARD OF REGENTS OF NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY TO REPORT TO THE LEGISLATIVE FINANCE COMMITTEE CERTAIN INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THE OPERATION OF THE UNIVERSITY'S ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT; PROVIDING FOR PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION TO CREATE CERTAIN SPORTS PROGRAMS AT NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY--ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT REPORTING--PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS.--
A. For each fiscal year, the board of regents of New Mexico state university shall provide a report to the legislative finance committee of:
(1) salaries and other payments, including incentive payments, paid to each athletic coach, assistant athletic coach and administrator employed within the university's athletics department;
(2) travel expenses or other expenses incurred by the university's athletics department;
(3) the amount of each contract entered into by or on behalf of the university's athletics department;
(4) the basis for the amount of each expenditure or contract described in this subsection; and
(5) plans to generate revenue for the university's athletics department programs.
B. The legislative finance committee may, for each fiscal year, conduct performance evaluations with respect to:
(1) the information provided by the board of regents of New Mexico state university pursuant to Subsection A of this section; and
(2) contracts entered into by or on behalf of the athletics department of New Mexico state university.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--Two million dollars ($2,000,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the board of regents of New Mexico state university for expenditure in fiscal year 2020 to create men's and women's skiing, women's beach volleyball and men's soccer programs at New Mexico state university for the purpose of participation in national collegiate athletic association sports competitions. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2020 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -