SENATE BILL 458
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Daniel A. Ivey-Soto
RELATING TO THE STATE LAND OFFICE; REQUIRING PUBLIC NOTICE AND PUBLIC MEETINGS PRIOR TO CERTAIN TRANSACTIONS INVOLVING STATE TRUST LANDS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] STATE LAND OFFICE--PUBLIC NOTICE--PUBLIC MEETINGS.--
A. Prior to taking final agency action, the commissioner of public lands shall publish notice of and hold a public meeting to receive public comment regarding the following activities:
(1) land sales;
(2) land exchanges;
(3) right-of-way permits for electrical transmission lines in excess of two hundred thirty kilovolts situated on state trust land; and
(4) right-of-way permits for oil or gas pipelines in excess of twenty-four inches in diameter and at least ten miles in length situated on state trust land.
B. A notice of a proposed land sale, land exchange or right-of-way permit as set forth in Section A of this section shall be published on the state land office website and in a newspaper of general circulation published in Santa Fe and in a newspaper of general circulation published near the general geographic location of the proposed activity.
C. The notice required in this section shall contain:
(1) a description of the state trust land offered for sale or exchange or on which the right of way is to be located;
(2) a summary of the effect or potential effect of the proposed transaction or right of way on surrounding lands;
(3) the time, place and location for the public meeting on the sale, exchange or right-of-way permit; and
(4) the name of a person to contact at the state land office for additional information on the sale, exchange or right-of-way permit and the subject state trust land.
D. The public meeting required pursuant to Subsection A of this section shall be held in the same general geographic location as the proposed activity.
E. No provisions of this section shall alter, change, restrict or diminish the rights, powers and duties of the commissioner of public lands in the administration, management, care and control of state trust lands as provided for by the Enabling Act for New Mexico and applicable state statutes.
- 3 -