SENATE BILL 482
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2019
Linda M. Lopez
RELATING TO ECONOMICS; TASKING THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO BUREAU OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC RESEARCH WITH EVALUATING THE FISCAL IMPACT ON VARIOUS GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES OF THE PROPOSED SANTOLINA DEVELOPMENT IN BERNALILLO COUNTY; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. TEMPORARY PROVISION--BUREAU OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC RESEARCH--FISCAL IMPACT EVALUATION.--
A. The university of New Mexico bureau of business and economic research shall conduct an evaluation of all past, present and reasonably foreseeable future fiscal impacts of the proposed Santolina development in Bernalillo county on:
(1) New Mexico state government;
(2) Albuquerque city government;
(3) the Albuquerque metropolitan arroyo flood control authority;
(4) the Albuquerque public school district;
(5) the Albuquerque-Bernalillo county water utility authority; and
(6) Bernalillo county government.
B. The evaluation shall analyze the fiscal impact on the entities listed in Subsection A of this section with regard to:
(1) system infrastructure, including parks, recreational facilities, roads, sidewalks and streets;
(2) project infrastructure, including parks, recreational facilities, roads, sidewalks and streets;
(3) utilities, including electricity, gas, sewage and water utilities; and
(4) schools and other public facilities and associated infrastructure.
C. Upon completion of the evaluation, the university of New Mexico bureau of business and economic research shall present a report to the interim legislative committees tasked with studying economic development and water issues. The bureau of business and economic research shall additionally makes its report available to members of the public.
D. For the purposes of this section, "fiscal impact" means the impact on a governmental entity by virtue of the governmental entity:
(1) making a payment of anything of value to a private entity or promising to make a payment of anything of value to a private entity; or
(2) forgiving a tax or other liability owed to the governmental entity by a private entity or promising to forgive a tax or other liability owed to the governmental entity by a private entity.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--One hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the board of regents of the university of New Mexico for expenditure in fiscal year 2020 for the bureau of business and economic research to evaluate the fiscal impact on state and local governments of the proposed Santolina development in Bernalillo county. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2020 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -