HOUSE BILL 222
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2020
Rebecca Dow and John Arthur Smith
RELATING TO SPECIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICTS; CREATING THE SIERRA COUNTY SPECIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of the Special Hospital District Act is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] SIERRA COUNTY SPECIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT.--
A. The legislature determines that:
(1) the current ownership and financial control of Sierra Vista hospital in Sierra county is no longer in the best interests of the health care of the residents of Sierra county;
(2) the health care of the residents of Sierra county would be better served by a special hospital district; and
(3) the general law of the Special Hospital District Act cannot be invoked to create a special hospital district in a timely manner to protect the health care of the residents of Sierra county.
B. The "Sierra county special hospital district" is hereby created by act of the legislature. The district consists of all of Sierra county.
C. Following the effective date of the provisions of this section:
(1) the board of county commissioners and county clerk of Sierra county may take that action necessary and in substantial compliance with the Special Hospital District Act to provide for the election of a board of trustees, including a determination of whether the initial board of trustees shall be elected at-large or from single-member districts; and
(2) the Sierra county special hospital district shall be subject to the provisions of the Special Hospital District Act other than those pertaining to the creation of a district."
- 2 -