HOUSE BILL 342
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2020
Joy Garratt and Christine Trujillo
RELATING TO PUBLIC EDUCATION; PROVIDING FOR FLEXIBLE K-5 PLUS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. Section 22-13D-2 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 2019, Chapter 206, Section 3 and Laws 2019, Chapter 207, Section 3) is amended to read:
"22-13D-2. K-5 PLUS--ELIGIBILITY--REQUIREMENTS.--
A. A school district or charter school may apply to participate in the K-5 plus program and is eligible to receive program units for students enrolled in elementary schools approved by the department to participate in the K-5 plus program. In approving schools for participation in K-5 plus, the department shall prioritize elementary schools:
(1) in which eighty percent or more of the elementary school's students are eligible for free or reduced-fee lunch;
(2) that are low-performing elementary schools;
(3) that participated in the 2018 K-3 plus or K-5 plus program; and
(4) that meet criteria established by department rule.
B. Each K-5 plus program shall:
(1) provide no fewer than twenty-five additional instructional days prior to the start of the regular school year;
(2) keep students that participate in the K-5 plus program with the same teacher and cohort of students during the regular school year;
(3) include additional professional development for K-5 plus teachers in how young children learn to read; and
(4) be implemented school-wide.
C. An elementary school is ineligible for K-5 plus program units if it fails to meet the requirements of Subsection B of this section. Flexibility in satisfying program requirements in Subsection B of this section may be allowed if approved by the department."
- 2 -