SENATE BILL 90
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2020
Linda M. Lopez and Patricia Roybal Caballero
RELATING TO HUMAN RIGHTS; REQUIRING STATE AGENCIES TO DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT POLICIES TO DECREASE INSTITUTIONAL RACISM; PROVIDING CRITERIA BY WHICH STATE AGENCIES SHALL IMPLEMENT SUCH POLICIES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] DEVELOPMENT OF POLICIES TO DECREASE INSTITUTIONAL RACISM--DEFINITION.--
A. Each state agency and any entity receiving state funding shall develop and implement policies to decrease institutional racism and provide effective, equitable and fair service to the state's diverse communities. No later than July 31 of each year, state agencies shall report to the legislature their findings, action plans, policies and practices for addressing institutional racism.
B. In fulfilling the requirements of Subsection A of this section, state agencies shall:
(1) assess their anti-institutional racism policies in hiring, promotion, retention, pay equity, community engagement and workplace participation;
(2) create a data infrastructure that allows for tracking progress toward ending institutional racism;
(3) institute a statewide evaluation of race and gender gaps in hiring, promotion, retention and pay and institute an action plan for rectifying inequities in hiring, promotion, retention and pay;
(4) include a statement of preferred criteria on all job advertisements and annual reviews;
(5) include criteria for promotion and appointments that value a demonstrated commitment to ending institutional racism and advocating for equity and inclusion, as well as working with broadly diverse communities;
(6) appoint an equity liaison on all job searches;
(7) for the public education department, advance critical, intersectional ethnic studies in P-20 education for teachers, staff, students and families; and
(8) provide and document annual anti-institutional racism training for all employees.
C. For the purposes of this section, "institutional racism" means actions that result in differential access to the goods, services and opportunities of society due to the existence of institutional programs, policies and practices that intentionally or unintentionally place certain racial and ethnic groups at a disadvantage in relation to other groups.
- 3 -