SENATE BILL 99
54th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2020
George K. Munoz
RELATING TO PUBLIC EDUCATION; AUTHORIZING PUBLIC SCHOOLS TO GRANT DIPLOMAS TO VIETNAM VETERANS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of the Public School Code is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMAS--VIETNAM CONFLICT VETERANS.--
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of the Public School Code, a local school board may issue a high school diploma to a Vietnam conflict veteran who:
(1) is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States;
(2) was scheduled to graduate from high school after February 28, 1961 and before May 7, 1975;
(3) was a resident of New Mexico and attended a high school in the locality of the current school district; and
(4) left high school before graduation to serve in the Vietnam conflict.
B. A local school board may issue a high school diploma to a qualifying Vietnam conflict veteran regardless of whether the veteran holds a high school equivalency credential or is deceased.
C. The department shall adopt and promulgate rules to carry out the provisions of this section, including:
(1) an application form to be submitted to the local school board by the Vietnam conflict veteran or a person acting on behalf of the veteran if the veteran is incapacitated or deceased; and
(2) what constitutes acceptable evidence of eligibility for a diploma."
SECTION 2. EFFECTIVE DATE.--The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2020.
- 2 -