SENATE BILL 77
55th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2021
Gay G. Kernan
RELATING TO HIGHER EDUCATION; CREATING THE REGIONAL TWO PLUS TWO PILOT PROJECT TO ESTABLISH A SEAMLESS TRANSITION FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGE TO UNIVERSITY AND MEASURE STUDENT AND INSTITUTIONAL OUTCOMES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] REGIONAL TWO PLUS TWO PILOT PROJECT--ELIGIBILITY--EVALUATION AND REPORTING.--
A. "Two plus two" is created as a six-year pilot project in which public post-secondary educational institutions in the southeastern region of the state join to establish a seamless transition from community college to university to:
(1) improve graduation rates at both educational systems;
(2) reduce student credit hour accumulation;
(3) reduce student debt;
(4) reduce student remediation; and
(5) increase collaboration and efficiency by and among the southeastern region's post-secondary educational institutions.
B. The purpose of two plus two is to show that the alignment of curricula, course numbering and course credits between community colleges and state universities:
(1) improves student success and outcomes;
(2) improves the performance, efficiency and effectiveness of both community colleges and state universities; and
(3) lowers cost and provides greater benefits to students, institutions and taxpayers.
C. The following public post-secondary educational institutions may participate in two plus two:
(1) eastern New Mexico university;
(2) the Roswell branch of eastern New Mexico university and eastern New Mexico university Ruidoso branch community college;
(3) New Mexico junior college;
(4) New Mexico military institute;
(5) Clovis community college;
(6) the Carlsbad branch of New Mexico state university or the branch's successor institution; and
(7) any other public post-secondary educational institution that requests to join the pilot project.
D. Three four-year cohorts of students shall be tracked in the pilot project, beginning with those academic students in the freshman class of 2022 at the participating community colleges who declare their intention and receive a bachelor's degree at eastern New Mexico university and ending with those academic students in the freshman class of 2024.
E. The participants in two plus two shall:
(1) designate an institution to serve as lead administrator, if needed;
(2) designate a person at each institution to serve as that institution's lead administrator;
(3) determine what and how data will be collected, analyzed and evaluated to determine whether the purpose of two plus two was borne out and whether articulation changes lead to better outcomes for students and institutions; and
(4) any other matters necessary for the conduct and evaluation of two plus two.
F. The participants shall submit interim and final reports annually to the secretary of higher education and the legislature on the efficacy of two plus two. Reports shall also be filed with the legislative library at the legislative council service.