SENATE CONSERVATION COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR
SENATE BILL 431
55th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2021
RELATING TO THE PUBLIC PEACE, HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE; CLARIFYING THE PROCESS TO EMPLOY YOUNG PERSONS IN PUBLIC PROJECTS FUNDED BY THE NEW MEXICO YOUTH CONSERVATION CORPS COMMISSION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. Section 9-5B-6 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 1992, Chapter 91, Section 6, as amended) is amended to read:
"9-5B-6. COMMISSION--POWERS AND DUTIES.--
A. The commission may:
(1) accept gifts, devises, grants and donations from others to carry out the provisions of the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Act;
(2) request assistance and staff support from the department;
[(3) employ such personnel as necessary to carry out the provisions of the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Act;
(4)] (3) delegate responsibility for the administration and implementation of conservation projects, corps members' employment and supervision, project coordination and other program matters; and
[(5) establish work camps and long-term residential facilities to house corps members and their supervisors; and
(6)] (4) contact potential sponsors and funding sources for support.
B. The commission shall:
(1) adopt rules that are necessary for the proper administration of the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Act;
(2) administer and enforce the provisions of the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Act and rules adopted pursuant to Paragraph (1) of this subsection;
(3) [develop and approve corps work projects, activities and contracts with project sponsors] issue a request for applications from sponsors, at least annually, for projects that incorporate project objectives pursuant to Section 9-5B-4 NMSA 1978;
(4) adopt a competitive evaluation process that applies the requirements of Section 9-5B-7 NMSA 1978 in the selection of projects;
(5) approve applications and enter into contractual or grant agreements with the sponsors of the approved projects;
[(4)] (6) establish standards, procedures and policies for selecting, hiring, providing compensation for and other personnel matters involving corps members and other personnel;
[(5)] (7) foster partnerships and cooperation between the corps and New Mexico's secondary and post-secondary schools to assist corps members in obtaining education and job training; and
[(6) hire a program manager, who shall be the administrative officer of the corps]
(8) employ such personnel as necessary to carry out the provisions of the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Act.
C. A contractual or grant agreement, a request for applications or an application evaluation process made pursuant to the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Act is not subject to the provisions of the Procurement Code."
- 3 -