HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 8
55th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2021
Zachary J. Cook and Rachel A. Black and William "Bill" R. Rehm and Randall Pettigrew
A JOINT RESOLUTION
PROPOSING TO AMEND ARTICLE 2 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF NEW MEXICO BY ADDING A NEW SECTION TO PRESERVE THE RIGHT TO HUNT AND FISH.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. It is proposed to amend Article 2 of the
constitution of New Mexico by adding a new section to read:
"A. The individual right of the people to hunt and fish is a valued part of the state's heritage and shall be preserved for the public good.
B. The right preserved pursuant to Subsection A of this section includes the right to use traditional methods to hunt and fish, subject only to law established to:
(1) promote wildlife conservation and management;
(2) provide reasonable regulation of hunting and fishing activities; and
(3) preserve the future of hunting and fishing.
C. Hunting and fishing shall be the preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.
D. The provisions of this section do not affect:
(1) laws pertaining to trespass or property rights;
(2) the state's sovereign authority over its natural resources; or
(3) the state's obligation to manage lands granted to it pursuant to the act of congress of June 20, 1910, entitled "An act to enable the people of New Mexico to form a constitution and state government and be admitted into the union on an equal footing with the original states"."
SECTION 2. The amendment proposed by this resolution shall be submitted to the people for their approval or rejection at the next general election or at any special election prior to that date that may be called for that purpose.
- 2 -