HOUSE BILL 220
56th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2023
Kathleen Cates and Tara Jaramillo and Elizabeth "Liz" Thomson
RELATING TO TAXATION; CREATING A GROSS RECEIPTS TAX DEDUCTION FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MODIFICATION SERVICES MADE TO THE HOMES OF MEDICAID RECIPIENTS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of the Gross Receipts and Compensating Tax Act is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] DEDUCTION--GROSS RECEIPTS TAX--ENVIRONMENTAL MODIFICATIONS FOR MEDICAID RECIPIENTS.--
A. Receipts of an eligible provider for environmental modification services reimbursed by the medical assistance division may be deducted from gross receipts.
B. As used in this section:
(1) "eligible provider" means a provider who meets requirements of the medical assistance division to provide environmental modifications pursuant to a waiver granted by the federal department of health and human services to provide home and community-based services to recipients;
(2) "environmental modifications" include the purchasing and installing of equipment or making physical adaptions to a recipient's residence that are necessary to ensure the health, welfare and safety of the recipient or enhance the recipient's access to the home environment and increase the recipient's ability to act independently;
(3) "medicaid" means the medical assistance program established pursuant to Title 19 of the federal Social Security Act and regulations issued pursuant to that act;
(4) "medical assistance division" means the medical assistance division of the human services department; and
(5) "recipient" means a person whom the department has determined to be eligible to receive medicaid-related services and who meets the financial and medical level of care criteria to receive medical assistance division services through one of the division's waiver programs granted by the federal department of health and human services."
SECTION 2. EFFECTIVE DATE.--The effective date of the provisions of this act is July 1, 2023.
- 2 -