SENATE BILL 236
56th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2023
William P. Soules
RELATING TO HIGHER EDUCATION; ENACTING THE UNIVERSITY FACULTY RESEARCH GRANT ACT; CREATING THE UNIVERSITY FACULTY RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAM AT THE HIGHER EDUCATION DEPARTMENT; PROVIDING DEPARTMENT DUTIES; PROVIDING REQUIREMENTS TO RECEIVE RESEARCH GRANTS; CREATING THE UNIVERSITY FACULTY RESEARCH GRANT FUND; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of Chapter 21 NMSA 1978 is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] SHORT TITLE.--This act may be cited as the "University Faculty Research Grant Act"."
"[NEW MATERIAL] DEFINITIONS.--As used in the University Faculty Research Grant Act, "department" means the higher education department."
SECTION 3. A new section of Chapter 21 NMSA 1978 is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] UNIVERSITY FACULTY RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAM--CREATED--OVERSIGHT.--
A. The "university faculty research grant program" is created in the department.
B. The department shall:
(1) establish and publish deadlines and guidelines for the submission of grant applications;
(2) develop procedures for receipt, review and approval of grant applications;
(3) receive, review and approve grant applications;
(4) award grants to universities to assist faculty research and provide funding for laboratory equipment and any other necessary items to assist in faculty research;
(5) monitor universities' use of grant money by reviewing annual reports submitted by those universities to the department to ensure that grants are used consistently with the universities' grant applications; and
(6) perform other duties as necessary to carry out the provisions of the University Faculty Research Grant Act."
SECTION 4. A new section of Chapter 21 NMSA 1978 is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] GRANT APPLICATIONS--GRANT RECIPIENTS--REQUIREMENTS.--
A. A university may submit an application to the department for a university faculty research grant. An applying university shall comply with deadlines and guidelines published by the department. A university faculty research grant application shall include a statement of:
(1) the amount of money that the university has already allocated for the research;
(2) the amount of grant money that the university requests and a list of items and costs for the proposed research; and
(3) the university's purpose for the grant money and what goals the university wants to accomplish.
B. During the time that a university is using university faculty research grant money, the university shall report annually to the department. The report shall include:
(1) the name and title of each research faculty member and the department within the university where each research faculty member is using the grant money; and
(2) detailed information about each research faculty member's role and contributions to the research being accomplished."
SECTION 5. A new section of Chapter 21 NMSA 1978 is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] UNIVERSITY FACULTY RESEARCH GRANT FUND--CREATED.--The "university faculty research grant fund" is created in the state treasury. The fund consists of appropriations, gifts, grants and donations to the fund and income from investment of the fund. Money in the fund shall not revert to any other fund at the end of a fiscal year. The department shall administer the fund, and money in the fund is appropriated to the department to provide grants to universities to assist them in their research. Money in the fund shall be disbursed on warrants signed by the secretary of finance and administration pursuant to vouchers signed by the secretary of higher education or the secretary's authorized representative."
SECTION 6. APPROPRIATION.--Five million dollars ($5,000,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the university faculty research grant fund for expenditure in fiscal year 2024 and subsequent fiscal years to provide grants to universities to assist faculty research and provide funding for laboratory equipment and any other necessary items to assist in faculty research. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of a fiscal year shall not revert to the general fund.
- 4 -