SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION 2
56th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - first session, 2023
William P. Soules
A JOINT RESOLUTION
PROPOSING TO AMEND ARTICLE 2 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF NEW MEXICO BY ADDING A NEW SECTION 25 TO ENSHRINE CHILDREN'S RIGHTS INTO THE BILL OF RIGHTS; REQUIRING THE LEGISLATURE TO IMPLEMENT THE CHILDREN'S BILL OF RIGHTS.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. It is proposed to amend Article 2 of the constitution of New Mexico by adding a new Section 25 to read:
"A. Children in New Mexico have the following rights:
(1) the right to medical and dental health care that is timely and accessible;
(2) the right to behavioral health care that is solution-focused and culturally sensitive, available to all children's families and household members;
(3) the right to nutritious food without having to endure hunger, food insecurity or stigma;
(4) the right to stable, healthy and safe housing with electricity, plumbing, heat and internet access;
(5) the right to transportation in order to reach educational, recreational and vital services;
(6) the right to live in a community that provides home visitation programs starting at birth to ensure safe households, parental support and education; and navigation to local vital services;
(7) the right to early childhood learning programs that prepare children for school;
(8) the right to fully resourced community schools, with staffing to ensure an enriching academic and cultural experience, as well as a school-based health center to provide medical, dental and mental health care to students and family members;
(9) the right to youth mentorship programs in many forms in order to support recreational activities and strengthen physical health, academic skills and interpersonal communication skills; and
(10) the right to acquire all the skills needed to maintain quality employment, including education aligned with job markets and job readiness and placement programs.
B. The legislature shall enact laws to implement the provisions of this section by the end of the fifty-seventh legislature."
SECTION 2. The amendment proposed by this resolution shall be submitted to the people for their approval or rejection at the next general election or at any special election prior to that date that may be called for that purpose.
- 3 -