HOUSE BILL 38
56th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2024
FOR THE LEGISLATIVE HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE
RELATING TO EXECUTIVE REORGANIZATION; CREATING A TASK FORCE TO STUDY THE FEASIBILITY OF CREATING AN AFRICAN AMERICAN AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. TEMPORARY PROVISION--AFRICAN AMERICAN AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT STUDY TASK FORCE--MEMBERSHIP--DUTIES.--
A. The "African American affairs department study task force" is created and shall function from the date of its appointment until December 1, 2024.
B. The task force shall consist of the following eleven members:
(1) the director of the office on African American affairs or the director's designee;
(2) the chair of the Martin Luther King, Jr. commission or the chair's designee;
(3) the executive director of the African American performing arts center or the executive director's designee;
(4) the general manager of expo New Mexico;
(5) the speaker of the house of representatives or the speaker's designee;
(6) the president pro tempore of the senate or the president pro tempore's designee; and
(7) five members appointed by the governor who are representatives of charitable or community organizations working on behalf of African American communities in New Mexico or persons who have knowledge of and interest in issues affecting African American communities in New Mexico.
C. The governor shall appoint the chair of the task force.
D. Members of the task force who are not state employees or otherwise reimbursed for per diem and mileage expenses are entitled to receive per diem and mileage reimbursement as provided in the Per Diem and Mileage Act and shall receive no other compensation, perquisite or allowance.
E. The health care authority department in collaboration with the office on African American affairs shall convene the task force and provide the task force with staff.
F. The task force shall study the feasibility of creating an African American affairs department by evaluating:
(1) the possible organizational structure, staffing needs and costs of an African American affairs department;
(2) the fiscal and administrative benefits of unifying the resources and operations of the office on African American affairs, the Martin Luther King, Jr. commission and the African American performing arts center;
(3) the potential benefits to New Mexico and African American communities in New Mexico provided by an African American affairs department; and
(4) other areas of concern deemed relevant by the task force.
G. The task force shall submit a final report detailing its findings and recommendations to the governor and the legislature by December 1, 2024.
SECTION 2. APPROPRIATION.--One hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) is appropriated from the general fund to the health care authority department for expenditure in fiscal years 2024 and 2025 to support the African American affairs department study task force. Any unexpended or unencumbered balance remaining at the end of fiscal year 2025 shall revert to the general fund.
- 3 -