SENATE BILL 146
56th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2024
Jeff Steinborn and Nathan P. Small
RELATING TO HOSPITALS; ENACTING A NEW SECTION OF THE HOSPITAL FUNDING ACT TO REQUIRE COUNTY HOSPITALS AND CONTRACTING HOSPITALS TO ACCEPT HEALTH BENEFIT PLANS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE NEW MEXICO HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGE AND PROVIDE AFFORDABLE PAYMENT PLANS UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. A new section of the Hospital Funding Act is enacted to read:
"[NEW MATERIAL] COUNTY HOSPITALS AND CONTRACTING HOSPITALS--ACCEPTANCE OF NEW MEXICO HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGE HEALTH BENEFIT PLANS--REQUIRED PAYMENT PLANS.--
A. A county hospital or contracting hospital shall accept all health benefit plans available through the New Mexico health insurance exchange.
B. A county hospital or contracting hospital shall provide a patient with an affordable payment plan under the following circumstances:
(1) the county hospital or contracting hospital is the only provider of care in the county where the patient resides for a condition, including cancer, that places the patient's health in serious jeopardy, causes serious impairment to bodily function or causes serious dysfunction of any bodily organ;
(2) the patient's health benefit plan is not accepted by the county hospital or contracting hospital; or
(3) the patient is uninsured.
C. As used in this section:
(1) "contracting hospital" means a hospital located in New Mexico that enters into a health care facilities contract with a county or counties or another political subdivision; and
(2) "county hospital" means a hospital owned by a county."
- 2 -