SENATE BILL 204
56th legislature - STATE OF NEW MEXICO - second session, 2024
Daniel A. Ivey-Soto
RELATING TO CRIME; PROHIBITING THE UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A FIREARM IN A PARK OR PLAYGROUND; PROVIDING A PENALTY.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1. [NEW MATERIAL] UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A FIREARM IN A PARK OR PLAYGROUND.--
A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in a park or playground consists of carrying a firearm in a park or playground except by a:
(1) peace officer;
(2) security officer licensed and allowed to carry a firearm pursuant to the Private Investigations Act; or
(3) member of the armed services or reserve forces of the United States or the New Mexico national guard while performing official duties.
B. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a firearm in a park or playground is guilty of a fourth degree felony.
C. As used in this section:
(1) "firearm" means a weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, including a handgun, rifle or shotgun;
(2) "park" means an outdoor recreational area open to the public that is owned or managed by a municipality or county and includes the outdoor recreational area's adjoining parking lot, but does not include an outdoor recreational area designated and used as an outdoor shooting range; and
(3) "playground" means an outdoor facility open to the public that is owned or managed by a municipality or county and has slides, swing sets, climbing structures or other play stations intended for the recreation of children and includes the outdoor facility's parking lot.
- 2 -